Friday, April 3, 2015

Carl Case: Class of '80


“Carpe diem”

        
Carl Case
Class of ’80

Carl Case is the type of man who goes after life and his passions with a positive attitude and a full sense of adventure. Not only has Carl tackled obstacles that have come his way, but he has proved to himself and others that he can do anything that he sets his mind to.
            Carl had long known about St. Bonaventure University because he grew up about 20 miles away. When it came to deciding what school suited him best, his decision came down to the University of Buffalo or St. Bonaventure University.
            “Bonaventure had the degree program I was interested in and the college also gave me the best scholarship. In the end it was a no brainer. I was close to home so I really got the best of both worlds. I was able to live on campus and have the full college experience yet I was able to go home when I wanted to with an easy drive.”
            Carl says that he has many fond memories of being an undergraduate student at St. Bonaventure. A favorite memory was during his senior year when the floor that he lived on won the intramural championship cup.
“It was a very competitive road to receiving that cup.”
Another favorite memory was attending basketball games with his floor mates.
“The bottom of the court would be filled with students. As soon as that first buzzer went off, there was toilet paper flying everywhere. It was the main source of entertainment for us back in the day. My floor mates and I would walk into the arena to our seats with our floor shirts on so everyone would know who we were.”
Carl graduated with a major in Marketing in 1980 and then received his Master of Business Administration (MBA) from Bonaventure in 1982.
“Throughout college, I held a work-study job in the financial aid office. When I graduated, they offered me a full-time job. So while I was receiving my MBA, I was also working full time: work during the day and classes at night.”
After graduation, Carl began teaching at Olean Business Institute. He worked there from 1983–1990 and then decided to go for his doctoral degree at the University of North Texas for Business Computer Information Systems with a supporting field in Computer Education Cognitive Systems. During his time at North Texas, he was a teaching fellow from 1990–1993.
After finishing his coursework at the University of North Texas, Carl returned closer to home to teach at the University of Pittsburgh’s Bradford Campus from 1993–1999. During this time, Carl finished his dissertation and received his doctorate in 1996. Carl also developed several database programs for companies and the colleges where he taught.
By 1999, Carl received word of a job opening at his alma mater and he jumped on the opportunity very quickly.
“My goal was always to come back to St. Bonaventure University to teach. I wanted to give back to the community that gave so much to me in my life. I thought it was only fair, and I enjoy giving back. I always have.”
Carl’s favorite experience as a professor at Bonaventure has been as the advisor for the Business Information Systems Club (BIS).
“My most memorable time is when the club goes to New York City to install computers at homeless shelters. I have always been a man who enjoys giving back. So it warms my heart to see my students wanting to do the very same thing. It takes students out of our ‘Bona’s bubble’ that we create and puts them in a real life situation. It’s an all-around wonderful learning experience.”
Now that Carl is back at Bonaventure, his favorite part is being able to experience what it’s like to be a Bonaventure student all over again. This time, however, he has more knowledge of the campus and how it all works.
            “I know history about the school. Times have changed since I was a student here so I feel that it is very important to let this new generation of students know this school’s history so it won’t be lost over time.”
            In Carl’s spare time, he enjoys the adventures that life gives him. The motto that he lives by is “carpe diem,” seize the day. He has traveled to a total of 12 different countries and doesn’t plan on stopping, is a certified coach, runs every single day and hasn’t missed a day since February 1997.

            “I enjoy living life on the edge. I have skydived, gone scuba diving, zip lined, traveled in a hot air balloon, and have done so many other adventurous activities. I figure, why stop now? I still have my whole life ahead of me.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment